Sunday, October 3, 2010

Carlos Celdran pulled "Damaso" in the Manila Cathedral

Carlos Celdran was arrested after interrupting a mass in the Manila Cathedral by holding up a placard that says "Damaso" and shouted "stop getting involved in politics" inside the cathedral. Celdran says on an interview "I apologize for being rude. But it was necessary for me to be rude," and "I am sorry for the method I used, but I am not sorry for the message I made." This is his protest against the catholic church for being too meddlesome especially regarding the Reproductive Health Bill issue. He is then freed by his family last Friday.

Padre Damaso is one of the notorious characters in the controversial novel, Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not), written by our national hero Jose Rizal. The character portrays a cruel and malicious priest with cravings for beautiful women.

I was surprised when I saw the news. It was very brave of him to do such and I support him.

Tourism, that's the first thing that comes to my mind whenever I hear the name Carlos Celdran. Although I have not yet been in his tours, well I sure would like to meet him ever since I watched him featured in 5 and Up way way back my high school days. He is a popular tour guide roaming in Manila, most particularly Intramuros and he'd be usually spotted wearing a Jose Rizal - like outfit, or a Barong and Capri pants or what we call a puruntong here in the Philippines.

1 comment:

  1. Promoting tourism is one thing. Being disrepectful in God's house is another thing. Voice your opinion in another venue Mr. Celdran.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...